Over these past few months, I have been gathering my emotions back together. I experienced a season that was hard. I wanted revenge, I wanted to be spiteful and to be quite honest I wasn’t stopping until I received my justice. I am pretty sure I can relate to Taraji in Acrimony. Although my situation wasn’t the same as hers because let’s be clear I wouldn’t have blown my money on that NI****; that’s another rant for a later time. In my case, it was the betrayal of a family member that tried to sabotage my family.
I am really known for turning the other cheek but the disrespect and the nonchalant attitude is what did it for me. I won’t be going into details because I am at peace. However, I figured it would be great to discuss how to overcome betrayal. Let’s be clear when someone close to you betrays you; it’s not a walk in the park. You’re not sweet, you’re not kind and sometimes you say or do things out of anger. People will paint a pretty picture and make you believe that’s something wrong with you for retaliating but the truth is we are all humans who have feelings.
I had sunk to a sunken place that I wasn’t trying to hear nothing. The only thing that made me come down is God. He woke me out of my sleep from a horrible dream and was like if you don’t stop this will be the outcome. I wasn’t giving him the time to validate me. I wasn’t allowing him to be God in my life; when it comes to every situation in my life. Which made me look as if I didn’t trust him. I honestly do but in this case, I wanted revenge and therefore, only he could’ve gotten my attention. I know it’s other people out there that are dealing with this or have dealt with this and haven’t healed. Sharing is caring so here are some tips to overcome betrayal:
- Pray, Pray and PRAY! even if you don’t feel like it or you are too angry…My nanny has always taught me to call on JESUS; when I don’t have the right words or I don’t have enough strength to pray. I spent days crying and calling on him.
- Separate from the noise! Stop giving life to the situation. Stop telling your friends. Stop talking about it! Just stop feeding it. Nothing can grow if you kill it before it can.
- Refocus! The enemy only sends stumbling blocks like setbacks or betrayal to get you so caught up in the problem that you lose sight of what really matters.
- Have fun! get out and do something that you enjoy!
- Did I forget to mention to pray
- Have positive people around you that care about you and don’t want to see you fall
As the days go by the sting will leave and the reason you’ve mad won’t even matter! More importantly, forgive them and let it go! Your heart doesn’t need to be contaminated with bitterness, hatred or rage! Those are blessing blockers! Go get everything God has called for you to get!